Games Recently Played

Friday, January 6, 2012

GAMING SESSION

Starting the new year I would like to record more of the times that I play games, what games I played, and my impressions of them. We have a pretty regular Thursday game night at the institute with many students, some more hard-core gamers than others. Our first Thursday session of 2012, we played Eminent Domain, a fairly new deck-building/role selection game that has similarities to Dominion, Race for the Galaxy, and Glory to Rome. I played it with the designer last Fall at Strategicon, and while I like it, it doesn't play that smoothly and has limitations.
We also played a big 10 player game of Formula D, a racing game that I was stoked to play. It reminds me of playing Speed Circuit when I was young. We played the basic version and it was fun for a racing game. I would like to play the advanced rules. For the past month we have been playing quite a few games of Shadows Over Camelot, a cooperative game of the knights of the roundtable, but with a traitor element. It has been an OK game to play, but the basic cooperative element can end up just being puzzle-solving. It is the traitor element that makes the game suspenseful and tense.  We played with the expansion Merlin's Company, that has cards with flavor text straight from Monty Python's The Holy Grail. Josh was the traitor, and we had no chance against him this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment