Games Recently Played

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Game Session



 I have been a bit sheepish about talking to gamers about games I have played since 2007, and having NOT played Agricola (one of the most popular and highest rated games). Well, no more and mission accomplished as I finally got a play in. I didn't do great and made both decision mistakes and card reading mistakes, but I loved it. It can be overwhelming with the variety of decisions to make, especially when you don't where you are going exactly (a problem with every new game you play, but must be plowd through), but I wanted to play it again immediately when we were done. I felt I actually had the win wrapped up by the second to last turn, but I neglected to fence my farm in before others snagged that action and it cost me big so I tied for second instead. The best part of the game is probably the variety, with an unending amount of occupations and improvements (each player has only 7 of each in every game, out of hundreds), and once you get the flow it is not complicated.
My humble farm, about half-way through.

The other game I introduced was this year's Spiel de Jahres (Game of the Year), Kingdom Builder. I had played it at the last Strategicon, and it also has great variety in that you use only 4 out of 16 boards, 3 out of some 15 goal cards, and special player abilities change with every board that is used. It was fun to play it again, although I felt a little boxed in by the cards I drew.
Kingdom Builder
1- Tyler H, 2- Nate J, 3- Josh D, 4- Brett H

Agricola
1- Nate J, 2- Tyler H/Brett H, 3- Josh D

No comments:

Post a Comment