Games Recently Played

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Design Competitions!










This time of year I get all itchy to sharpen some of my prototype designs to enter into design competitions with the hopes of doing well and be noticed by a publisher. The highest boardgame design competition (the Academy award in the business) is held in Germany by the Hippodice club. I entered once a few years ago, but never made it to the next round where you actually send your prototype for them to playtest. This year I entered the rules and picture of Nisse, and it was accepted for playtesting! So now I had to drop $50 to send my complete prototype to Europe for evaluation, but the game looks good. I mounted the game onto a nice folding chipboard surface with my latest modifications and sent it away. They will playtest it for a few months, and they'll invite the best ten or so designs for the finals. Here's hoping!









A more local contest I enter every year is the ION award for the SaltCon copetition in Utah. I sent in my latest version of SPLAT!, this one mounted on thick chipboard that was a pain to cut, but I like the final look. I am hoping this will live up to its billing as Caleb told me in a dream that this was an "award-winning design."


No comments:

Post a Comment